Thursday, February 24, 2011

Keep on Keeping On

    A couple of us were chatting before class.  The yearning for tacos, ice cream and greasy hamburgers dominated the conversation. This is probably a shocking statement, but NO one spoke fondly of carrot sticks, yogurt, cottage cheese or apples.
     I doubt that it's a coincidence that the lesson this week is about completing the task. The writers for FP4H knew after a few weeks of "being good" hardships, trials and life in general would start taking its toll on me and the group.
     Boy has it!  In just eight short weeks illness, surgery and even death has touched our group.
     My personal work schedule regularly throws me off course.  Long stressful hours at the desk are not conducive to my success.
    After eight weeks of trying to make wise and healthy choices I've hit a wall. It's decision time. Do I give up or keep trying?
     Fortunately for me, the conversation later in the evening (thank you Alan) reminded me that this weight-loss journey is very similar to my journey as a believer in Christ.
     When I first became a Christian 11 years ago everything was fresh and new and exciting.  I wanted to attend every conference and concert and join every Bible study available. I was on fire!!
    Years later, I'm very selective about the conferences, Bible studies and service projects I commit to.  I'm no less in love with Jesus (in fact more so), but I understand that it's a life-time commitment and I don't need to cram everything in at once.  Beside the fact that it wasn't realistic.  I have very real and worldly commitments that needed my attention.
     I had to learn to incorporate my love for Jesus into my life.
     My desire to lose weight and improve my health is a life-time commitment and a 12-week program isn't going to get me where I need to be physically, spiritually, emotionally or mentally. Beside the fact that it's not realistic. I'm not on the Biggest Loser Ranch, I have very real and worldly commitments that need my attention.
     I need to learn to incorporate my lifestyle goals into my life.
     So to answer my own question, yes.  Even though I've hit a wall, I'm determined to push through it and keep on keeping on.
     One thing is for sure, if I keep heading in the same direction, I'll end up where I'm going.

No comments:

Post a Comment