Saturday, April 9, 2011

Victory Lap

I finished my 5k race in 46:14 minutes.  Not great by most standards and I didn't win any awards or medals, in fact I didn't even get a t-shirt (I registered late and they ran out), but I am ok with that.  I was 'racing' for other reasons.

I made an observation today. We all need accountability, encouragement, and someone/something who will motivate you to do your best.

You could spot the 'real' runners by the tan skin, flat stomachs, and those fancy running shorts. Most of the people seemed to be with family or friends and there were a good many people who appeared to be there for the moral support and to cheer them on.

Today I was by myself, but I wasn't alone. Thankfully I too have been blessed with accountability, encouragement and motivation.

At 5:30 a.m. when the alarm went off I started to self-doubt and talk myself out of even going, in spite of the fact that the weather was near-perfect for a race. I was going by myself,  I didn't have the ''outfit' and I certainly didn't have the flat stomach. I knew that I would be at the back of the pack from the get-go.

Having already paid my money kept me on track, I wasn't about to waste $25.  I think if I would have waited to register the day of the race I would have blown the whole thing off, rolled over and slept in.

My daughter and best friend, Jody, races and has been a constant source of support.  The thought of even competing in a 5k had never crossed my mind until she started planting the seeds of encouragement last summer. This was my 3rd 5k!

And as for my motivation, that seems to be coming from my deep desire to get healthy, be a good leader to our Bible study group and ultimately be able to give God all the glory for changing me on the inside and out.

I call today a NSV. Non-Scale Victory.  A NSV that is helping to build my sense of accomplishment, my sense of empowerment, my determination to make good choices for my body and soul.

Today I took a victory lap.

1 comment: