Sunday, October 14, 2012

Recipe Exchange

A couple of weeks ago the FP4H ladies shared some of their favorite "diet" recipes.

I can usually tell by the list of ingredients if it would be worth the effort (meaning if I have most of the stuff in the cupboard already or it doesn't call for some oddball spice that I'll never use again).

Husband, Glenn has had to work a lot of evenings lately and hasn't had a good home-cooked meal for several days so I thought it would be a great time to try out a couple of the recipes (of course I won't tell him that they are part of my healthy eating plan because he would immediately pooh-pooh them).

Dessert first since it took time to set.

Key Lime Pie

1/4 cup water
1 package (4 oz) sugar-free lime flavor gelatin
2 containers (6 oz) fat-free key lime yogurt
2 cups fat-free whipped topping
1 reduced fat graham cracker pie crust

°  Heat water to boiling.
°  Whisk into gelatin until dissolved.
°  In a medium bowl, stir together gelatin mixture and yogurt.
°  Fold in whipped topping.
°  Spread in crust; refrigerate at least 4 hours or until set. Store in refrigerator.

Total calories in pie = 1280
1/8 slice of Key Lime Pie = 160 calories


Main course

Onion-Crusted Pork Chops

1 envelope onion soup mix
1/3 cup plain dry bread crumbs
4 bone-in or boneless pork chops; 1 inch thick
2-4 tablespoons Dijon style mustard
salt/pepper to taste

°  Preheat oven to 375°.
°  Combine onion soup mix, bread crumbs, salt and pepper.
°  Brush both sides of chops w/mustard.
° Dip in soup mixture until evenly coated.
° Spray baking pan with non-stick cooking spray (or line pan with tin foil for easy clean up)
° Baked uncovered, turning once, 30 minutes or until done.

NOTE:  I didn't add salt to the dry mix since the onion soup mix is pretty salty on it's own and we can always salt at the table if necessary; and since it was just the two of us, I only baked two chops.

Exchange value for one pork chop = 1 veg, 1 bread, 3 medium-fat meat, 1-1/2 fat

Glenn will be a very happy man and I'll be finishing off my day with good choices!

Update

The pork chops were a hit with Glenn!  I was right in NOT adding salt.  They were plenty salty enough and next time I'll use the foil with the baking dish. Clean up wasn't much fun.


Onion-crusted pork chop; green beans and herb mashed potatoes






No comments:

Post a Comment