Saturday, September 22, 2012

Nothing Butt Tough

This time last year I'd made the decision and investment to buy a road bike.

I was nervous about spending the money.  What if I bought it, rode it a few times and then it sat in the shed?  It would be one more thing I had wasted money on.  It would be one more thing sitting around, taking up space in the shed.  It would be one more reason my husband could say "I told you so." It would be one more thing I quit.

When I first got my bike I could only ride for 15-20 minutes.  I didn't have the legs, and it hurt my hiney - big time!

But I kept at it.  Each time I'd ride I could last a little longer, go a little further.

Before the weather turned cold and my attention was directed to Christmas cookies, I could ride for 40-45 minutes and I was putting some serious miles on my bike.

Spring time found me a little rusty and my butt had to toughen up again, but before long I was out and about, exploring new roads and feeling stronger and getting braver.

I've had set backs and road blocks and literally some huge hills I had to conquer that have discouraged me and in some cases even scared me.  But I didn't give up.

Today I just got back from a 17 mile ride in the country.  I went further from home than I'd ever been before.  Granted it took me two hours, but I keep reminding myself I couldn't sit on my bike for two hours this time last year.

I've proven to myself that if I don't give up I'll get better. Confident. Healthier. Stronger.

My journey to a healthier lifestyle is requiring the same perseverance.  It's taking time.  There are set backs and road blocks and even Christmas cookies that will slow me down, but I know that if I don't give up I'll get better. Confident. Healthier. Stronger.





No comments:

Post a Comment