Friday, January 14, 2011

Will-Power

Reading an article this a.m. about how scientists have decided that we have more of the ability to regulate our behavior than we think we do.  That our will-power is unlimited. Of course it is.

I have unlimited will-power when it comes to anchovies, liver pate and beets of any fashion.  Chocolate and cheesecake on the other hand, maybe not so much.

Last month I attended a Christmas program at First Baptist Church where chocolate cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory was served.


I had to restrain myself from licking the plate.  But my friend, Becky,  politely handed her plate across the table without hesitation. She said she didn't care much for cheesecake and chocolate doesn't do a thing for her.  Is she nuts???? (Visit the D.O.C.K. on Sunday mornings and decide for yourself.)

The scientific concept of regulating my behavior would require that I use my own inner strength. I'm pretty sure that's not going to work for me — at least it hasn't in past situations.

I need the power of the Holy Spirit to change my mind and my heart.  I need goals, long term and short term goals to keep me focused.  I need the accountability of being with other people who have similar goals. I need to sit next to Becky more often and maybe her good habits will rub off on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment